Thursday 22 August 2013

Chamakh: I Stayed At Arsenal Too Long


Crystal Palace striker Marouane Chamakh has admitted that he stayed at Arsenal too long.

The Moroccan struggled for first-team football with the Gunners and West Ham during his time in the Premier League but hopes that his transfer to Crystal Palace will change that. The 29-year-old moved to the Emirates on a free transfer from Ligue 1 side Bordeaux in 2010 but struggled to dislodge Robin van Persie in the Gunners team.

Injuries and the signing of Olivier Giroud as Van Persie's replacement further hindered his cause for a first-team place at the Emirates Stadium but, although the Morocco international is disappointed about his game-time with the Gunners, he is sure that he made the right choice.

"I have regrets. I wish I had more time to play Arsenal," Chamakh told L'Equipe.

"I respect the decisions of the coach but I did not always have a chance. But I do not regret coming to England.

"At Arsenal, the first season was very good. Then I played a lot less. It was difficult because Van Persie was on fire. Until we changed system, there was no discussion between him and me.

"When he left, I thought there was a chance but, with the arrival of Giroud, I realised that I had no place out there."

A loan move to West Ham last season failed to work out for Chamakh but the Moroccan has been handed a lifeline by Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway and he warned Premier League defences that he will make his mark.

"West Ham was a bad choice. It did not go well at all," the forward admitted. "The manager promised me that, [due to] the injury to [Andy] Carroll, I would get playing time. Alou Diarra had warned me.

"I know I'll have plenty of time here [at Palace]. I'm going to get chances and find the net."

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis